Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
If you’ve spent any time browsing recipes online, you’ve probably come across dozens of Brussels sprouts-centric meals. From crunchy, air-fried bites to bacon and butter-loaded side dishes, this all-star vegetable has quickly become a weeknight staple for many families. Not only are they delicious, but Brussels sprouts also contain an impressive list of vitamins, minerals, and other compounds responsible for improved heart health, cancer protection, and more.
Even so, fresher, lighter preparations of the vegetable can take much more work to find. That’s why we’ve taken it upon ourselves to design this recipe for an easy shredded Brussels sprouts salad. Whole superfoods like kale, chickpeas, and Brussels sprouts are tossed together with crisp apple and creamy avocado to create a beautiful balance of flavors and textures. Our dressing, a quick mustard vinaigrette, adds tang and acid to the salad–a sharp contrast to other, heavier Brussels sprouts preparations. Finally, crispy, wafer-thin slices of prosciutto bring the entire dish together, providing a pop of salt without all the extra fat and grease of bacon.
If you’re a Brussels sprouts fan but are also looking for a healthy alternative to the recipes you’ve already tried, do yourself a favor and make this salad tonight!
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
● 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
● 1 garlic clove, minced
● 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
● Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
● 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
● 3 ounces sliced prosciutto
● 1 pound Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and shredded
● 3 cups chopped kale
● 1 ripe Hass avocado, seeded and diced
● 1 large Honeycrisp or Fuji apple, cored and chopped
● 1 cup cubed white cheddar cheese
● 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
● 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
For mustard vinaigrette
1. Whisk together mustard, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle olive oil while whisking to combine.
For shredded Brussels sprouts salad
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Arrange prosciutto in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
3. Meanwhile, add Brussels sprouts, kale, avocado, apple, cheese, chickpeas and almonds to a large serving bowl and gently toss to mix. Pour mustard vinaigrette over salad and toss to combine. Top with crispy prosciutto.