Whether you’re a grilling enthusiast or just looking for cheap, easy meal prep ideas, it’s hard to go wrong with our lemon chicken skewers. A crowd favorite at picnics and outdoor events of all types, these skewers use minimal ingredients to produce maximum flavor and health benefits. Additionally, by utilizing only lean proteins, whole grains, and low-calorie seasonings, this recipe offers an impressive nutrient profile at an even more impressive price point.
To make it, boneless skinless chicken breasts, ripe bell peppers, and sweet red onions combine and form the backbone of the dish, with a bright, fresh marinade of mustard, garlic, and lemon juice offering acid and vibrancy. Once you’ve prepared and grilled your skewers, heart-healthy whole-grain flatbreads and a quick, homemade garlic yogurt dip bring the entire plate together.
With under 30 minutes of prep and only a few minutes of actual cook time, you can easily marinate or batch this recipe ahead of time. Not only does this allow you to prepare meals on your own schedule, but it also reduces stress and allows you to keep a cheap, healthy weeknight meal on deck for whenever you need it most.
Prep: 20 minutes (plus marinating time)
Cook: 12 minutes
For garlic yogurt dip:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For lemon chicken skewers:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Wooden skewers
- Whole grain flatbread, for serving
For garlic yogurt dip
1. In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and salt until combined.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For lemon chicken skewers
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, thyme, oregano,
salt and pepper. Add chicken and mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30
minutes or up to 24 hours.
2. Preheat the grill to medium heat. Soak skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
3. Thread chicken, bell pepper and onion onto skewers. Discard remaining marinade.
4. Grill skewers for 10-12 minutes, rotating occasionally, or until chicken reaches an internal
temperature of 165°F. Serve with garlic yogurt dip and flatbread.