A warm, homemade plate of spaghetti and meatballs is perhaps one of the most classic examples of comfort food possible. For those of us looking to cut carbs, reduce fat, or increase protein intake, however, the traditional recipe can often leave much to be desired. Because of this, we’ve developed our ground turkey meatball recipe to include lean protein sources and minimal ingredients to give you all of the comfort with none of the complications.
With only a handful of ingredients, these healthy, baked turkey meatballs come together in about 20 minutes of cook time. While they’re baking, our recipe will guide you through preparing your spiralized zucchini “pasta”. For the uninitiated among you, this gluten-free, vitamin-packed alternative to traditional pasta will soon become one of your go-to tricks for easy meal prep. Even for those who may be hesitant about zucchini, this preparation uses loads of garlic, a dash of spicy red pepper flakes, and plenty of seasoning to create a nutritious, delicious combination.
Perfect for low-carb meal planning, a cheap lunch, or healthy family meals, our turkey meatballs with garlic zucchini noodles are sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
Zucchini noodles, or “zoodles,” are a great alternative to pasta. Not that we have anything against pasta, but sometimes we like to mix it up!
Zucchini noodles are not only gluten free, but they’re also high on vitamins A, C and B, as well as fiber. Try this recipe and tag #CrunchKitchen so we can see your zoodles!
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together turkey, onion, breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, half the garlic,
salt and pepper until just combined. Shape mixture into 1 1/2-inch meatballs.
3. Bake for 15 minutes or until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add remaining garlic and red pepper
flakes and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add zucchini noodles and saute for
2-3 minutes. Serve meatballs over zucchini noodles and sprinkle with cheese